To support operational growth, Forbes Bros is recruiting an Assistant Construction Manager to support our Major Projects Division on a variety of projects throughout Manitoba and Ontario.
Reporting to the Project Manager (PM), the Construction Manager (CM) is responsible for planning, organizing and directing daily operations at a construction site level.
The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to:
- Maintains a safe working environment by ensuring all employees follow the Forbes Bros safety and environmental work practices and procedures
- Ensures workers are deemed competent in the tasks they perform
- Provides direct coaching and support to workers on their operational, technical and HS&E roles and responsibilities
- Performs regular field inspections and follow-up with workers in regards to their quality and safety of work
- Identifies, develops and implements standards and programs to enhance the operational excellence safety culture while proficiently and effectively meeting operational needs
- Never put workers in a position where they must choose between HS&E and production
- Support CM & PM in establishment and implementation of policies and procedures for quality control
- Support CM & PM with identification and selection of trade subcontractors and co-ordinate their activities
- In collaboration with CM & PM plan and prepare construction schedules, 4 week lookaheads and monitor progress
- Support CM & PM with the purchase of building materials and land acquisitions
- Liaison with the CM to coordinate daily work activities for crews
- Work with the project team to determine the method of construction, the number of employees required, and that equipment and materials are ready and available for the start of each assigned job/project
- Ensure equipment maintenance and supplies are up to date and maintained
- Support Client relationships
- Support subcontractor relationships and compliance with company Complyworks policies
- Responsible for performance evaluations of Foreman, Supervisors, and Superintendents, with input on the evaluations of project staff completed by his project supervision
- Supervises all workers onsite; provides feedback, enforces company practices and administers disciplinary measures through collaboration with CM & PM as required
- Provides subject matter expertise presence on-site, review site labour requirements and mentors/coaches staff on proper procedures and techniques related to construction
- Reviews employee productivity, compliance with obtaining work permits, safety codes, material and equipment expenses
- Accountable to oversee the ongoing assessments and coaching to improve/maintain required skills and competencies
As the successful, candidate you will have:
- 5 + years’ experience with Utility / Powerline Construction or related field
- Trade Certification, when applicable, is required
- Knowledge of environmental best practices and a demonstrated history of successfully implementing and communicating them to key stakeholders.
- Proven team player with ability to build and maintain internal and external relationships by working effectively in and contributing to a diverse team environment.
- An understanding of business drivers and the ability to influence and facilitate the development and implementation of construction plans, goals and objectives.
- Proven ability to make decisions where only general policies and procedures are available requiring application of judgement and independent action.
- Ability to travel, support project work schedules, and pursue further professional development.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Willingness to work in remote project locations, embedded with operational work groups
- Demonstrated skills in written and verbal communication, coordinating resources as well as the ability to analyze data and solve problems
- Excellent analytic skills and the ability to organize and express ideas clearly
- Strong knowledge of provincial and federal regulations, codes, permits and approvals; as well as their technical application
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with FBL personnel, clientele and outside representatives of applicable regulatory agencies
This position is field based and requires candidates to:
- Successfully complete pre-employment/pre-access drug and alcohol testing to obtain clearance for site access
- Have and maintain a valid driver’s licences and acceptable abstract
- Requires regular travel to various project sites and office locations
- Complete background screening and criminal record check
What We Offer:
Forbes Bros offers an attractive compensation package that includes a competitive salary, comprehensive benefit plan and a rewarding pension program. Forbes Bros has an open and team oriented culture that focuses on communication, innovation and respect in the workplace!
Forbes Bros is an equal opportunity employer committed to best practice recruiting and hiring, to promote gender equity and workplace diversity. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates who meet the requirements noted and who earn an invitation to interview will be contacted.