Forbes Bros is currently recruiting a full time, energetic, self-motivated HSE Advisor for our T&D Alberta operations.
Reporting to the Director, Health and Safety Advisor and working daily with Operations and the Distribution Management team – the successful candidate will be the main contact for health and safety issues for projects and worksites across Alberta.
The responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Provide guidance to field employees and foreman on the proper/safe execution of work tasks according to client and company standards.
- Act as a change agent in the transition to a Zero Injury/Occupational Illness culture.
- Assist Workers, Supervisors, Managers and Leadership in performing hazard assessments, workplace inspections, incident investigations, and assessing compliance to applicable legislation and internal/customer protocols.
- Development of health and safety performance measures, and implementing the FBL HSE Strategic Business Plan.
- Lead or support: Tailboard meetings, HSE training and orientations, corrective actions, and Project/HSE Business Plan initiatives
- Work with our clients to complete: Project Safety Plans, Hazard/Risk Registries, Job Safety Analysis (JSA), and HSE Audits.
- Support WCB Ability Management processes
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to address HSE related issues;
- Collaborating with field employees, supervisors and managers to identify and execute opportunities for continual improvement.
- Work closely with Operations Management in managing aspects of HSE including incident prevention, training compliance and addressing concerns.
- Report all incidents, client HSE concerns and regulatory involvement to the H&S Director and Operational Management.
- Develop job safety analysis and safe work procedures as required.
- Actively engaging workers and supervisors by having a focused field presence to improve safety performance and address concerns.
- Lead by example, continually showing support of the client and company HSE initiatives.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience as a Journeyperson Powerline Technician managing field crews in the utility construction industry or an HS&E practitioner in an industrial work environment (preference given to electrical utility and construction experience)
- NCSO certified (preference will be given to candidates maintaining CRSP designations in good standing)
- Knowledge/experience with HS&E Management Systems and audit tools including Certificate of Recognition (COR), OHSAS 18001 or CSA Z1000, and ISO 14001
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong leadership and team building skills, including the ability to lead by example, build consensus, actively listen, and engage/influence employees at all levels.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate and interact effectively with all levels of management, employees and clients.
- Ability to work independently with little direction and with a sense of ownership and personal commitment to a Zero Injury/Occupational Illness culture.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with clients to achieve desired results.
- Task-oriented with strong attention to detail and follow through.
- Strong multi-tasking and prioritization skills with the ability to adapt to change.
- Works well in a fast paced, change-oriented team setting
This position requires candidates to:
- Successfully complete pre-employment drug and alcohol testing
- Have and maintain a valid driver’s license and acceptable driver’s abstract
- Requires regular travel across Alberta to support T&D Operations that may include weekends and afterhours (up to 50% of the time travelling)
What We Offer:
Forbes Bros offers an attractive compensation package that includes a competitive salary, comprehensive benefit plan and a rewarding pension program. Forbes Bros has an open and team oriented culture that focuses on communication, innovation and respect in the workplace!
Forbes Bros is an equal opportunity employer committed to best practice recruiting and hiring, to promote gender equity and workplace diversity. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates who meet the requirements noted and who earn an invitation to interview will be contacted.